Monday 13 April 2020

Five Healing Places



I have been reading a lot about rest, ecotherapy and mindfulness and have incorporated what I have discovered into five LMOs (Local Mindful Outings) which I have been trying to do on Mondays with my daughter. Below are pictures and descriptions of these five healing places, which I have been enjoying since late last summer.



1. The Walled Garden



I discovered the Walled Garden in August 2019 and consider it to be the first and most important healing place we visit. It is surrounded by a bigger garden area which has a cafe, lots of trees and a stream, which we also enjoy contemplating. We take our time in the walled garden, daydreaming and being mindful. This space often makes its way into a bedtime guided meditation.




2. The Memorial Park
 

I used to walk past this park wondering what it was like inside. When I did finally venture inside, in October 2019, I found it was quite lovely. We now go in here quite often, it has tall trees, a large pond, an art gallery, museum and a very pretty cafe with a lovely view, where we often enjoy a very slow cup of coffee.


3. The Lido




I forgot how great the lido and surrounding woodland area is, but now I make a point of regularly visiting them. It is good just to contemplate the vast stretch of water, the trees and the clouds. Our visits to the lido also include visiting the garden centre next door (and its resident cat), a walk through the woods and a slow coffee.


4. The Manor Farm






This recreational space features a barn-like library, a duck pond and a pleasant walk to the river. It is quite an open space and very countrified. It is a nice place to sit and contemplate the trees and the sky. Our visits here also incorporate a visit to the local church, graveyard and cafe.






5. The Gravel Pits




The Gravel Pits was the last LMO I discovered, in December 2019. It is a pretty place, with lots of trees and fresh air. The local Costa is also one of the nicest I have encountered, with an enticing view out of the window. It would be good if the place also had an accessible body of water included, like a pond or a stream, however we do often visit it when it's raining.



Our trips to the five LMOs are therapeutic for a number of reasons. They involve slow travel (by bus), walking, reflection, nature and slow coffee drinking, among other restful aspects. I would recommend anyone to find their own local healing place; a place to slow down, stop, pause, reflect; a place that enhances wellbeing for yourself, others and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment