Tuesday 2 July 2019

6 new-ish therapy books for 2019

In the light of changing moods and time restraints I revised my list of therapy books I intend to read for this year. The descriptions of them are below.


The Happy Kitchen by Rachel Kelly, London, short Books, 2017

Wellbeing and therapy are never far from my mind so it made sense to me to acquire a wellbeing cookbook. This book has interesting information on mineral and vitamin supplements which I am very keen on. The author explains how healthy eating helped with her depression. At the back is a helpful section on mindful eating.

Living beautifully with uncertainty and change by Pema Chodran, Boulder, Shambhala, 2012

I find Pema Chodron's Buddhist wisdom strangely comforting, it is about embracing our fears, our uncertainty, the imperfection and impermanence of life, it warns about clinging to false certainties, because really, no none really knows.

We're all mad here by Claire Eastham, London, Jessica Kingsley, 2017

This book appears on many mental health help lists and I thought it would be good for me to read to further help my family. The chapters offering advice to caregivers and also on how to make your own plan for healing and recovery were the ones I found most useful.

The Mindfulness Journal by Corinne Sweet, London, Boxtree, 2014

I thought this book would be a small, sweet book to dip into now and then, it was actually a lot more in depth and instructional than that and I found myself reading the whole of it with great interest. It has great advice on using mindfulness to get through everyday life in a much more meaningful and relaxing way.

Mindful crafting by Sarah Samuel, London, Leaping Hare Press, 2018

I was not sure what to expect of this book, I knew it wasn't a picture book so was wondering what it had to say. I found it full of wise words about how important craft and creativity are to our wellbeing, regardless of how good we are. Mindful crafting explains how to go with the flow, to not be scared of making mistakes, how to create from the soul not for the ego. The book ends with an important chapter on the value of crafting in the face of anonymous mass production.

The mindful path to self-compassion by C.K. Germer, New York, Guilford Press, 2009

This is a bigger book than my other therapy books for the year. I may get around to reading it, but I am really enjoying mood boosting fiction atm. I decided to leave the Wise Heart by Jack Kornfield for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment