Saturday 1 June 2019

London Interrupted Part Four

My last London Interrupted excursion involved a walk from Regent's Park to Trafalgar Square to visit three different cafes.


The first Cafe has been on my list to visit for a long while, since March 2017​; The RIBA Cafe. RIBA was a suitably impressive building, considering that RIBA stands for the Royal Institute of British Architects, with airy rooms and a luxurious staircase. There was an interesting exhibition going on, involving Hastings Pier and the Honest Shop, featuring honest consumables. The Cafe itself was small and inexpensive, but also felt cosy and friendly.






It was quite a walk, for me, from Portland Place via Regent's Street, Oxford Street and Soho Square to Foyles' Book Shop and the ghost of Ray's Jazz Cafe.



I remember drinking coffee in Ray's Jazz Cafe years ago, it was quite pleasant but now long gone. Today the music collection is on Floor Two and the cafe is on Floor Five. I have visited the new cafe before, it was big and noisy. I decided to press on down Charing Cross Road to St Martin's in the Field and the Cafe in the Crypt.


The Crypt Cafe was an enjoyable experience, even though it was a bit busy and noisy. The environment was suitably Gothic and crypt-like, with high arches and soft, yellow lighting. I enjoyed my coffee and my mindful musings and my look at St Martin's Church which I don't usually pay much attention to.



I finished my walk at Trafalgar Square wishing I was wearing different shoes, more suitable for London Streets and London Rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment