Friday 14 February 2020

Thirty years a librarian


To celebrate my thirty years as a librarian I have chosen thirty favourite books from five decades of reading.

1970s (childhood)

My two chosen books from the 1970s showcase my life long love affair with a Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens and the tales of Edgar Allan Poe.

1980s (education)

In the 1980s I studied English at O'level and A'level and acquired a degree in librarianship. My choice of books reflect what I was studying at the time; the Bronte sisters, George Orwell, The Great Gatsby and EM Forster.

1990s (work)

I did a lot of commuting when I started work and found that the tube was an ideal place to catch up with my reading. I enjoyed Dracula and Frankenstein, HG Wells and Stephen King, Gone with the wind and The mill on the floss.

2000s (relationships)

I was busy with my young family in the early noughties, I read and wrote more poetry. By the end of the decade I was back on novels again, I particularly enjoyed Chocolat, The other Boleyn girl and the Thirteenth tale by Dianne Setterfield.

2010s (escape)

My escape in the 2010s was more virtual than actual, books I escaped into include Never let me go, We need to talk about Kevin, The girl on the train and Room. I can imagine that the theme for the forthcoming 2020s will increasingly be 'Letting Go'.


No comments:

Post a Comment