Monday 29 January 2018

New York faces, New York places


My first big apple is filled with the faces of people who most inspired me to make my trip to New York in 2017.


Alicia Keys
A beautiful singer responsible for my favourite New York song of recent years 'Empire State of Mind'.


John Lennon
John Lennon thought of New York as a big Liverpool. Tragically he was shot dead by a fan outside the Dakota Building in December 1980. Strawberry Fields in Central Park is Yoko Ono's memorial to him.

David Bowie
A London boy who lived a rich life in New York, but kept his creative spirit alive to the end.

Quentin Crisp
A self-proclaimed 'stately homo of England' and the inspiration for Sting's 'An Englishman in New York'.


Debbie Harry
I got turned onto pop music and NYC after watching Debbie Harry singing 'Hanging on the telephone' on a chaise longue on Top of the Pops in 1978.

Lou Reed
I'm still discovering more of Lou Reed's music. I've been a fan since I discovered the Velvet Underground in the 1980s. I got his homage to Edgar Allan Poe 'The Raven' for Christmas.

David Byrne
'Psycho Killer' is my favourite track, but there is plenty of thoughtful pop to enjoy from Talking Heads.

Patti Smith
She had a big hit with Bruce Springsteen and 'Because the Night', but most of her stuff is more alternative and poetic.


Rosemary's Baby
So many of my favourite films star New York City. 'Rosemary's Baby' is one of my oldest favourites.


My second big apple is filled with the names of the thirty places I managed to visit during my one week stay in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment